Since my last commentary on the goings-on in technology and social media, a lot has happened. The happenings just can’t be water under the bridge. They are significant to all who keenly follow advancements in technology. Though these may be stale news by now, Here’s an overview.
Apple successfully got the Samsung Galaxy Tab sales banned in the European Union market due to what it terms as patent infringement. Apple has of late been on an offensive suing competitors by citing patent infringement and copyright violations. Apple has sued Samsung and Taiwanese phone maker, HTC on the same grounds. The two companies have retaliated by also filing lawsuits citing patent infringement and copyright violations by Apple. Can’t these tech giants just get it right? There’s a lot to be done. It’s actually Apple who started this whole circus. How things will end up is upto the courts to decid or agreements on out of court settlements. Whichever way things go, healthy competition must be encouraged. When there’s competition, superior devices emerge and consumers can look forward to more quality stuff. I am a great Apple fanboy but I must say Apple got it wrong here. Competition must be there. The iPad, Apple’s flagship tablet computer and market leader in the tablet market had (and still has) a strong competitor in Samsung’s Galaxy Tab (7.7,10.1 and above). Baring competition in the name of patent infringement and copyright violations isn’t right. I know Apple is a darling of innovation and originality but the lawsuits aren’t the way to go.
This was big news. Google’s acquisition of Motorola came as a surprise. Google was prompted by the need to have a large patent portfolio under its control due to looming lawsuits from other industry players. Remember the Apple, Samsung wars above? This acquisition of Motorola will also help Google in it’s push to dominate the smartphone and tablet market with its Android operating system.
Of course the biggest news in the tech world recently was the stepping down of the legendary and revolutionary co-father of the Macintosh computers, the CEO of the largest, richest tech company, Steve Jobs of Cupertino based, Apple Inc. His resignation from Apple, prompted by cancer is a big blow to all of us in the young generation who loved the way he officiated the product launches of Apple’s greatest and revolutionary devices of all time, the iPod, iPhone and iPad. His successor, the immediate former Chief Operating Officer of Apple, Tim Cook has very large shoes to wear. To succeed such a figure like Jobs is a once in a lifetime privilege but also a daunting task. I wish Cook the best and thank Jobs for his contributions in the world of computing.
HP finally threw in the towel and decided to halt production of its flagship tablet computer, the HP TouchPad running WebOS. This means just one thing, the domination of Apple’s iPad will continue.
Also posted at ECHENZE KENYA
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- @NicKanali @raskeverenge Woi, pole 19 minutes ago
- @NicKanali @raskeverenge Woi. Hope you didn't have any money there... 25 minutes ago
- RT @wohali: Stupid joke time: - Do you know a good GDPR consultant? - Yes. - Can you give me his e-mail address? - No. /me curtsies 43 minutes ago
- RT @business: This mathematician wrote an algorithm that couldn’t lose at the horse track. A billion dollars later, he tells his story for… 43 minutes ago
- RT @levie: The new Gmail has a feature which reminds you when people haven’t responded to your email after a few days. One small step for m… 43 minutes ago
- @NicKanali @raskeverenge Like I told you before, this has something to do with the money you've been getting from N… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 48 minutes ago
- 😂😂 twitter.com/realDonaldTrum… 1 hour ago
- RT @backlon: Like everybody else, we are testing the new MacBook Pro for thermal performance as best we can. But an important note: we aske… 1 hour ago
- RT @MboyaApollo: Thanks @dailynation but the truth about @KenyaPower has been out for quiet some time #SwitchOffKPLC #Kenyapowerless https:… 3 hours ago
- RT @stratechery: The European Commission Versus Android stratechery.com/2018/the-europ… Examining the history of Android explains why the Europea… 3 hours ago