A quick look at the Kenyan Twitterverse today shows two trends. There has been #AlfredMutua which did trend due to the ignorance of a government officer who believes that the government is always right even when its evident the opposite is true. Of course the other trending topic was #Kenyans4Kenya which I link with it’s brother(or sister), #FeedKE.
The initiative which is meant to raise funds to help Kenyans facing starvation in various parts of the country has been a true test of the power of social media, the blogosphere and emergent money transfer systems like M-PESA mobile money transfer and others like Airtel Money. Kenyans have flocked various online forums and social networks to express their solidarity with their starving countrymen and also sympathize with them and condole the families of those who lost their loved ones in what has been described as East Africa’s worst famine in sixty years.
People have overwhelmingly swarmed the Facebook page of the ‘Kenyans for Kenya’ initiative to contribute both in thought and kind. Twitter is even a bigger success story. With over Ksh 15milliom being raised in the first 24hours of the launch of the initiative, the power of mobile money transfer and social media cannot be downplayed.
Indeed to anyone who will read this blog post, I urge you to help other Kenyans facing starvation. Send your M-PESA donation to paybill number 111111 or 10000 using the account name “feedke”.
It is such a pleasure that social media and mobile money transfer can be integrated to help save lives in our nation.
A special thank you to the various corporates who’ve come out to support this noble cause.
Also posted at ECHENZE KENYA
Follow me on Twitter
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- RT @jackomushien1: @B3laze Unajua kubebewa vitu kwa hizi mansion zetu si hard sana because vitu si mob 😂 3 minutes ago
- RT @Rygista: The side of Cristiano Ronaldo that doesn’t get highlighted enough, today wasn’t the first time he’s given his penalty to a te… 5 minutes ago
- RT @mcwm: We're in Barcelona and the only part of the @FCBarcelona match we can watch is this TV channel showing the sidelines and the comm… 6 minutes ago
- I first heard this song when I was in first year. I've dutifully played it every other week since then. 7 years and… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 minutes ago
- RT @newsyc20: Trump Administration Restricts H-1B Worker Visas Coveted by High Tech n.pr/2ETeCun ( bit.ly/2ETn6S3) 10 minutes ago
- RT @jonrog1: As one of the credited writers of CATWOMAN, I believe I have the authority to say: because it was a shit movie dumped by the s… 11 minutes ago
- RT @CharlieFlani: Si alikuwa amepewa lift twitter.com/Des_Sagwe/stat… 19 minutes ago
- Elgeyo Marakwet is the most beautiful part of this country that I've ever been to. Scenic. Breathtaking views. twitter.com/KResearcher/st… 22 minutes ago
- RT @nycsouthpaw: This article about Facebook’s auction system, which Brad Parscale just endorsed, says that Facebook systematically charged… 23 minutes ago
- RT @KevKartel: How a kalenjin would say "cute" twitter.com/Mocha__H/statu… 24 minutes ago