Please, before reading on take note that this blog has been closed and further comments and enquiries will be responded to on the new blog. For more of this, find me on my new blog: emmanuelchenze.com
Launched a day before the death of the iconic Apple Inc founder and former CEO and Chairman, the late Steve Jobs, the iPhone 4S, Apple’s latest i-kid has generated a lot of buzz lately.
From the impressive sold out pre-orders (over 4 million sold todate) to the magical personal virtual assistant, Siri, the iPhone 4S has got everyone talking.
My attention is not focused entirely on the hype surrounding the 4S but rather whether the hype is really worth it. What actually roused my itchy fingers is that this wonder device is retailing locally in Kenya at an incredible price. Forget the hype being fronted by Western media and other Silicon Valley media outlets, of course its normal (very normal) for Apple products to generate a lot of buzz and cause a lot of ripples, this phone is either really that good or blatantly overrated.
Since my last commentary on the goings-on in technology and social media, a lot has happened. The happenings just can’t be water under the bridge. They are significant to all who keenly follow advancements in technology. Though these may be stale news by now, Here’s an overview.
Apple successfully got the Samsung Galaxy Tab sales banned in the European Union market due to what it terms as patent infringement. Apple has of late been on an offensive suing competitors by citing patent infringement and copyright violations. Apple has sued Samsung and Taiwanese phone maker, HTC on the same grounds. The two companies have retaliated by also filing lawsuits citing patent infringement and copyright violations by Apple. Can’t these tech giants just get it right? There’s a lot to be done. It’s actually Apple who started this whole circus. How things will end up is upto the courts to decid or agreements on out of court settlements. Whichever way things go, healthy competition must be encouraged. When there’s competition, superior devices emerge and consumers can look forward to more quality stuff. I am a great Apple fanboy but I must say Apple got it wrong here. Competition must be there. The iPad, Apple’s flagship tablet computer and market leader in the tablet market had (and still has) a strong competitor in Samsung’s Galaxy Tab (7.7,10.1 and above). Baring competition in the name of patent infringement and copyright violations isn’t right. I know Apple is a darling of innovation and originality but the lawsuits aren’t the way to go.
This was big news. Google’s acquisition of Motorola came as a surprise. Google was prompted by the need to have a large patent portfolio under its control due to looming lawsuits from other industry players. Remember the Apple, Samsung wars above? This acquisition of Motorola will also help Google in it’s push to dominate the smartphone and tablet market with its Android operating system.
Of course the biggest news in the tech world recently was the stepping down of the legendary and revolutionary co-father of the Macintosh computers, the CEO of the largest, richest tech company, Steve Jobs of Cupertino based, Apple Inc. His resignation from Apple, prompted by cancer is a big blow to all of us in the young generation who loved the way he officiated the product launches of Apple’s greatest and revolutionary devices of all time, the iPod, iPhone and iPad. His successor, the immediate former Chief Operating Officer of Apple, Tim Cook has very large shoes to wear. To succeed such a figure like Jobs is a once in a lifetime privilege but also a daunting task. I wish Cook the best and thank Jobs for his contributions in the world of computing.
HP finally threw in the towel and decided to halt production of its flagship tablet computer, the HP TouchPad running WebOS. This means just one thing, the domination of Apple’s iPad will continue.
Also posted at ECHENZE KENYA
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- RT @CharlieFlani: Si alikuwa amepewa lift twitter.com/Des_Sagwe/stat… 8 minutes ago
- Elgeyo Marakwet is the most beautiful part of this country that I've ever been to. Scenic. Breathtaking views. twitter.com/KResearcher/st… 12 minutes ago
- RT @nycsouthpaw: This article about Facebook’s auction system, which Brad Parscale just endorsed, says that Facebook systematically charged… 13 minutes ago
- RT @KevKartel: How a kalenjin would say "cute" twitter.com/Mocha__H/statu… 14 minutes ago
- RT @HawkAyo: We should not talk like we are specialists in Life 101. Wait until circumstances beyond your control in every way hit home as… 20 minutes ago
- RT @HawkAyo: I see guys judge Louis Otieno for his current predicament. Eti ooh he didn't save... Ooh, should have started a business.. Eti… 20 minutes ago
- RT @andrewmartonik: Alcatel is dropping its aim to even lower prices, focusing on a few key features. Leaving the mid-to-high end for Black… 21 minutes ago
- LG V30S ThinQ... TF? Looks like the guy who was doing device naming at Samsung was poached by their Korean competitors. 22 minutes ago
- RT @ijustine: 😭😂 https://t.co/ZaXJfrqHkn 23 minutes ago
- RT @HawkAyo: About Louis Otieno.. Friends do not owe you assistance. Some will help out and for those, be there for them because the help i… 25 minutes ago