A quick look at the Kenyan Twitterverse today shows two trends. There has been #AlfredMutua which did trend due to the ignorance of a government officer who believes that the government is always right even when its evident the opposite is true. Of course the other trending topic was #Kenyans4Kenya which I link with it’s brother(or sister), #FeedKE.
The initiative which is meant to raise funds to help Kenyans facing starvation in various parts of the country has been a true test of the power of social media, the blogosphere and emergent money transfer systems like M-PESA mobile money transfer and others like Airtel Money. Kenyans have flocked various online forums and social networks to express their solidarity with their starving countrymen and also sympathize with them and condole the families of those who lost their loved ones in what has been described as East Africa’s worst famine in sixty years.
People have overwhelmingly swarmed the Facebook page of the ‘Kenyans for Kenya’ initiative to contribute both in thought and kind. Twitter is even a bigger success story. With over Ksh 15milliom being raised in the first 24hours of the launch of the initiative, the power of mobile money transfer and social media cannot be downplayed.
Indeed to anyone who will read this blog post, I urge you to help other Kenyans facing starvation. Send your M-PESA donation to paybill number 111111 or 10000 using the account name “feedke”.
It is such a pleasure that social media and mobile money transfer can be integrated to help save lives in our nation.
A special thank you to the various corporates who’ve come out to support this noble cause.
Also posted at ECHENZE KENYA
Follow me on Twitter
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- That story has made me mad! WTF? #PriceofHate 21 minutes ago
- 😂😂 twitter.com/Ngartia/status… 58 minutes ago
- @KenyanHustler @MasokoKe @androidKE Namna gani! Si wewe ndio sonko wa maSamsung huu mtaa? Uza Gear then top up. S8 @60k is a good deal. 59 minutes ago
- Myself and Assistant's terrible humour were made for each other https://t.co/2hb8xppATD 59 minutes ago
- RT @wuodobech: There is no problem with golfing😂😂😂 You criticized Obama for golfing so now deal it! Golf as you want with Tiger Woods. htt… 59 minutes ago
- RT @jeffersongraham: This just in from @Adobe: $2.87 billion spent online for pre-Black Friday Thanksgiving sales. 1 hour ago
- RT @SafaricomLtd: Don’t miss out on #Twaweza #BlackFriday deals today. Buy the Samsung Galaxy J3 for ONLY Ksh. 11,999/- and save Kshs. 3,50… 1 hour ago
- @KenyanHustler @MasokoKe @androidKE You're late 😄 1 hour ago
- RT @oliver_ogola: @KResearcher This is a knock off...Original Palito ilikuwa engraved na logo...sound deadly kuliko Bose! Ogopa Deejays owe… 1 hour ago