Since my last commentary on the goings-on in technology and social media, a lot has happened. The happenings just can’t be water under the bridge. They are significant to all who keenly follow advancements in technology. Though these may be stale news by now, Here’s an overview.
Apple successfully got the Samsung Galaxy Tab sales banned in the European Union market due to what it terms as patent infringement. Apple has of late been on an offensive suing competitors by citing patent infringement and copyright violations. Apple has sued Samsung and Taiwanese phone maker, HTC on the same grounds. The two companies have retaliated by also filing lawsuits citing patent infringement and copyright violations by Apple. Can’t these tech giants just get it right? There’s a lot to be done. It’s actually Apple who started this whole circus. How things will end up is upto the courts to decid or agreements on out of court settlements. Whichever way things go, healthy competition must be encouraged. When there’s competition, superior devices emerge and consumers can look forward to more quality stuff. I am a great Apple fanboy but I must say Apple got it wrong here. Competition must be there. The iPad, Apple’s flagship tablet computer and market leader in the tablet market had (and still has) a strong competitor in Samsung’s Galaxy Tab (7.7,10.1 and above). Baring competition in the name of patent infringement and copyright violations isn’t right. I know Apple is a darling of innovation and originality but the lawsuits aren’t the way to go.
This was big news. Google’s acquisition of Motorola came as a surprise. Google was prompted by the need to have a large patent portfolio under its control due to looming lawsuits from other industry players. Remember the Apple, Samsung wars above? This acquisition of Motorola will also help Google in it’s push to dominate the smartphone and tablet market with its Android operating system.
Of course the biggest news in the tech world recently was the stepping down of the legendary and revolutionary co-father of the Macintosh computers, the CEO of the largest, richest tech company, Steve Jobs of Cupertino based, Apple Inc. His resignation from Apple, prompted by cancer is a big blow to all of us in the young generation who loved the way he officiated the product launches of Apple’s greatest and revolutionary devices of all time, the iPod, iPhone and iPad. His successor, the immediate former Chief Operating Officer of Apple, Tim Cook has very large shoes to wear. To succeed such a figure like Jobs is a once in a lifetime privilege but also a daunting task. I wish Cook the best and thank Jobs for his contributions in the world of computing.
HP finally threw in the towel and decided to halt production of its flagship tablet computer, the HP TouchPad running WebOS. This means just one thing, the domination of Apple’s iPad will continue.
Also posted at ECHENZE KENYA
Follow me on Twitter
Like my Facebook page
About echenzeStudent of life, social media enthusiast and blogger. I love gadgets, isn't that obvious? When I'm not on my Droid reading something or tweeting, I'm hunched over my computer doing my classwork and checking out the latest in tech. Basically, I have no life besides gadgets :)
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- Glad to learn I'm not the only one. https://t.co/uFWs9fFKUh 4 hours ago
- In the early days of Android, one of the reasons to get an Android device over an iPhone was that the former's OS supported flash. 😂😂. Time! 4 hours ago
- RT @ArtemR: Why does it take anywhere from 1 to 5,000,000 seconds for the @Twitter Android app to open after tapping a notification? Ridicu… 4 hours ago
- RT @droid254: In terms of TV operating Systems : Android TV > Tizen > WebOS > FirefoxTV > Roku 4 hours ago
- @teamtaiwan You just reminded me. I interacted with this back in April in Lisbon. Shot video. Let me go see where I… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- How to know you're obsessed with #GameofThrones: seeing someone with cracked feet and thinking they have greyscale. 4 hours ago
- RT @kimenye: ihubrckhidi is not the kenyan tech ecosystem 6 hours ago
- August 9th will be pure madness. twitter.com/MacOtani/statu… 6 hours ago
- RT @BenBajarin: The wicked which is dead is playing in my head. Flash is dead. blogs.adobe.com/conversations/… 6 hours ago
- 😂😂 twitter.com/inafried/statu… 6 hours ago