Kenyans4Kenya: Goodwill and The Power of Social Media & Mobile Money Transfer
A quick look at the Kenyan Twitterverse today shows two trends. There has been #AlfredMutua which did trend due to the ignorance of a government officer who believes that the government is always right even when its evident the opposite is true. Of course the other trending topic was #Kenyans4Kenya which I link with it’s brother(or sister), #FeedKE.
The initiative which is meant to raise funds to help Kenyans facing starvation in various parts of the country has been a true test of the power of social media, the blogosphere and emergent money transfer systems like M-PESA mobile money transfer and others like Airtel Money. Kenyans have flocked various online forums and social networks to express their solidarity with their starving countrymen and also sympathize with them and condole the families of those who lost their loved ones in what has been described as East Africa’s worst famine in sixty years.
People have overwhelmingly swarmed the Facebook page of the ‘Kenyans for Kenya’ initiative to contribute both in thought and kind. Twitter is even a bigger success story. With over Ksh 15milliom being raised in the first 24hours of the launch of the initiative, the power of mobile money transfer and social media cannot be downplayed.
Indeed to anyone who will read this blog post, I urge you to help other Kenyans facing starvation. Send your M-PESA donation to paybill number 111111 or 10000 using the account name “feedke”.
It is such a pleasure that social media and mobile money transfer can be integrated to help save lives in our nation.
A special thank you to the various corporates who’ve come out to support this noble cause.
Also posted at ECHENZE KENYA
Follow me on Twitter
About echenzeStudent of life, social media enthusiast and blogger. I love gadgets, isn't that obvious? When I'm not on my Droid reading something or tweeting, I'm hunched over my computer doing my classwork and checking out the latest in tech. Basically, I have no life besides gadgets :)
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- RT @ChampionsLeague: The #UCL has a new look! 👀 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩 https://t.co/u1CUPSb2rF 4 minutes ago
- RT @kaluWanjala: This angle is meant to keep the "video girl" out of sight but I can't be fooled 😂😂 twitter.com/NicKanali/stat… 24 minutes ago
- @NicKanali @SamWakoba Coming to think of it, almost all the Wanjohis I have ever known throughout my life, are serious men of the bottle. 2 hours ago
- @kiruti I ate them for the first time two months ago. Sijui kwa nini watu hawajipendi. 2 hours ago
- @kaluWanjala @kiruti @Dexxe There used to be @mugurek_, first of her name. There hasn't been another ever since. At… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 hours ago
- RT @Dexxe: @echenze WaPombe. Njohi ni alcohol/beer. 2 hours ago
- @SamWakoba Huh? 3 hours ago
- @obeez I'd be happy to do one, just supply the phone. I can't crush a phone I have bought with my money. Mtu akitak… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- Kwani what does the name "Wanjohi" mean? Mtu anielimishe. Seen this comment on this video on how a medical student'… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- Your faves, y'all. twitter.com/NationBreaking… 3 hours ago