The Android MarketPlace: Where are Kenyan Developers?
I recently acquired an Android smartphone. Android, being the most popular mobile operating system, is a developers heaven. As such, I would have expected the Android Market to be overflowing with local applications but that’s not the case, there very few apps made by Kenyans and even fewer apps specifically offering Kenyan content. The big question is: where are Kenyan developers? Nokia’s premier app store, the Ovi Store, is awash with many local applications, which is a good and commendable thing considering that Nokia is still the market leader in cellphone sells and manufacturing in East Africa. However a part of the Kenyan population, like myself, are slowly moving away from the traditional Symbian platform fronted by Nokia to other new players. There’s the iOS, Windows Phone 7 and the Android OS. I know Kenyan developers are working round the clock to develop quality applications on all these major platforms but this has to be hastened.
For every proud Kenyan, it’s a shame to navigate through tens of thousands of applications in the various app stores without finding one local app or any app developed locally.
About echenzeStudent of life, social media enthusiast and blogger. I love gadgets, isn't that obvious? When I'm not on my Droid reading something or tweeting, I'm hunched over my computer doing my classwork and checking out the latest in tech. Basically, I have no life besides gadgets :)
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- Glad to learn I'm not the only one. https://t.co/uFWs9fFKUh 4 hours ago
- In the early days of Android, one of the reasons to get an Android device over an iPhone was that the former's OS supported flash. 😂😂. Time! 4 hours ago
- RT @ArtemR: Why does it take anywhere from 1 to 5,000,000 seconds for the @Twitter Android app to open after tapping a notification? Ridicu… 4 hours ago
- RT @droid254: In terms of TV operating Systems : Android TV > Tizen > WebOS > FirefoxTV > Roku 4 hours ago
- @teamtaiwan You just reminded me. I interacted with this back in April in Lisbon. Shot video. Let me go see where I… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- How to know you're obsessed with #GameofThrones: seeing someone with cracked feet and thinking they have greyscale. 5 hours ago
- RT @kimenye: ihubrckhidi is not the kenyan tech ecosystem 6 hours ago
- August 9th will be pure madness. twitter.com/MacOtani/statu… 6 hours ago
- RT @BenBajarin: The wicked which is dead is playing in my head. Flash is dead. blogs.adobe.com/conversations/… 6 hours ago
- 😂😂 twitter.com/inafried/statu… 6 hours ago