I recently acquired an Android smartphone. Android, being the most popular mobile operating system, is a developers heaven. As such, I would have expected the Android Market to be overflowing with local applications but that’s not the case, there very few apps made by Kenyans and even fewer apps specifically offering Kenyan content. The big question is: where are Kenyan developers? Nokia’s premier app store, the Ovi Store, is awash with many local applications, which is a good and commendable thing considering that Nokia is still the market leader in cellphone sells and manufacturing in East Africa. However a part of the Kenyan population, like myself, are slowly moving away from the traditional Symbian platform fronted by Nokia to other new players. There’s the iOS, Windows Phone 7 and the Android OS. I know Kenyan developers are working round the clock to develop quality applications on all these major platforms but this has to be hastened.
For every proud Kenyan, it’s a shame to navigate through tens of thousands of applications in the various app stores without finding one local app or any app developed locally.
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- RT @AP: BREAKING: NFL players defiantly react to President Trump's comments, with dozens protesting in different ways during anthems. 34 minutes ago
- RT @valanchee: I have read stories. Then I have read nonsensical ones. This one belongs in a special place of nonsense. Reductionism. https… 34 minutes ago
- RT @Mwass_: People: Why are you single? Me: twitter.com/kagutamuseveni… 34 minutes ago
- Lol. The blog was trending in India while I was out seeing cars. What did we do? 57 minutes ago
- RT @TheNextWeb: Google is serving ads in YouTube Red – even though it promises not to tnw.me/nBZAZpO https://t.co/niF5lXuaZP 1 hour ago
- @Mobkay @254volkan Who's the puppet and who's being controlled? 3 hours ago
- RT @potentash: This was the most beautiful car I saw today. Photo credit @CBA_Group_ #BeautyandTheBeasts #CBAConcours2017 😍😍😍😍 https://t.c… 3 hours ago
- @Mobkay @254volkan What will take it for people to stop being silly? Because surely going to school doesn't. There needs to be another way. 7 hours ago
- @254volkan @Sagnanoel here we go with our "public intellectuals": nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/G… 8 hours ago
- Those songs that take you on an uplifting journey. ❤️ @castingcrowns youtu.be/RhxELo-uD3c 8 hours ago