I recently acquired an Android smartphone. Android, being the most popular mobile operating system, is a developers heaven. As such, I would have expected the Android Market to be overflowing with local applications but that’s not the case, there very few apps made by Kenyans and even fewer apps specifically offering Kenyan content. The big question is: where are Kenyan developers? Nokia’s premier app store, the Ovi Store, is awash with many local applications, which is a good and commendable thing considering that Nokia is still the market leader in cellphone sells and manufacturing in East Africa. However a part of the Kenyan population, like myself, are slowly moving away from the traditional Symbian platform fronted by Nokia to other new players. There’s the iOS, Windows Phone 7 and the Android OS. I know Kenyan developers are working round the clock to develop quality applications on all these major platforms but this has to be hastened.
For every proud Kenyan, it’s a shame to navigate through tens of thousands of applications in the various app stores without finding one local app or any app developed locally.
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON HERE?
- Julian Perretta - Miracle youtu.be/yNGkFEY_VOw via @YouTube 4 hours ago
- @ngwata_ @kiruti That way, you keep your messages and media but old media is stored elsewhere should you ever need… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- @ngwata_ @kiruti Before moving the folder, make sure everything has been synced from phone. Then delete the video &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- @ngwata_ @kiruti Link it to your Google Drive account. Once you do, create a new folder (now from G Drive on web) a… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- RT @Brianmbunde: The floor is debating @UKenyatta - #DebatesKe https://t.co/FR5Mj46ZGU 6 hours ago
- That headline weh! twitter.com/ntvkenya/statu… 6 hours ago
- @oigoabuya 😂😂 6 hours ago
- RT @Tom_Mbayeye7: Makosa ya Uhuru ni kusikiza hao advisers wake wazungu. Akina John Walker na Jack Daniels. Ona sasa wamemkataza kwenda #Pr… 6 hours ago
- RT @Martoh_: 'si uende tu' "apana kumekuwa usiku sana" https://t.co/k1QeB62ase 6 hours ago
- RT @meridithmcgraw: The White House spelled West Virginia wrong on POTUS schedule--> https://t.co/9vQKFBjvIi 6 hours ago